Injuries, Set backs and Updates3
June 30, 2013 by CJ
Saturday June 15th I was supposed to be running the Baltimore 10 miler. But I did not. Some time ago, during my training, I started to notice a pain and stiffness in my ankle. Well, it was more my right achilles (somewhere in that area). Each morning I was waking up in pain. I’d stretch my ankle a bit, then head out for my run. I wasn’t noticing the pain during my runs. Mainly, post runs, after my shower or after sitting for a while. Getting up and walking to the bathroom during work hours was tough. Eventually, the pain would subside and I would go about my day. But each day it took longer and longer for the pain to go away. Until one day it didn’t. I noticed it while running the Zooma 10k. Somewhere around the halfway point, I started to feel the stiffness in my ankle/achilles. I opted to ignore it again, but from that day on the stiffness just wouldn’t go away. What made me take notice was when I rolled out of bed one morning to head out for my a.m. run and I couldn’t put pressure on my foot without excruciating pain. It was then I opted to take that day off.
I was hoping a day off would be all that I needed, but I was wrong. I took that day, the next, the following day. I decided I’d stop running and see how my ankle area felt after a week. If it was still super stiff and painful, I’d see a doctor. Fortunately, the pain subsided. With the help of goggle, blog reading and all my years of knowing my body, I self diagnosed myself with a heel spur or plantar fasciitis. 😦
I plan on going to the doctor to get this checked out…as soon as I get back from vacation.
So yeah, a bit of a set back with my running. I’m not going to allow myself to get too upset about this. From what I understand it’s not the end of the world. I haven’t completely stopped running. I’m just not doing the distance I’d prefer, but if I couldn’t get a couple of miles in each week, I think I’d go crazy.
I haven’t done an update in a while, so why not now.
- Exercise at least 3 days a week– Aside from the time I took off I’ve been pretty good with my running. I really should incorporate some other exercises.
- Get a facial or massage at least once every 6 weeks– I’ve been really good with this, shocked?? I had to reschedule my June session because of kid’s activities, but I didn’t cancel, just rescheduled and I’m pretty happy I stayed with it.
- Run faster– This month has been slower than all previous months. I blame that on my foot and the heat. It’s been crazy hot and humid. One of the things that have stayed in my brain from the Jeff Galloway book I read, “Half-Marathon You Can do it” was a section about temperatures and running. Slow it down! And yes, I have been slowing it down. I hope once the weather cools, I’ll be a faster runner…I hope
- Blog at least once per week- I started this month strong, but fell behind. Eventually, I will get there.
- To embrace the natural me – I still haven’t blogged about this. Damn! I really need to get on it.
Until next update-wish me luck!
Oh hell. I’m right there with you with that plantar fasciitis self-diagnosis (my appt is next Friday). Hope we BOTH feel better soon.
Hope you are up and moving. I’m not, not because of pain, more so because of laziness. 🙂
Good luck with the ankle! Hope you’re back in fine form very soon!!